Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The last Hooray

At the beginning of semester I was nervous to take Photojournalism but I am glad I took the class. Not only did I learn my rights as a photographer and how to use my manual capabilities on my computer better, I also learned how to use social media to help get myself out there. Before this class I would have never had a blog or a twitter account. I have always thought that twitter was a waste of time. I always thought it was for people to tell their followers their every move. But if you follow the right type of people on twitter, it can actually be a very useful tool to get your name out there.

We also learned how to use Photo mechanic to write captions for our pictures. I am a big fan of this program. It makes organizing, choosing your final images and writing them so much easier. I am actually considering purchasing this program.

After this semester is over I plan on continuing blogging or at least posting images and using my twitter account. I am actually going to use my twitter account to help the Owens Photo Club. Next semester I am going to be the communications officer for the club. I am going to try to get the word out to other club members or photography students who are interested in joining Photo Club. I may even use my blog account to show some of the activities the photo club involved in.

If I had any advice for future Photojournalist students it would to step out of your comfort zone. If I can do it so can they. At the beginning of the semester I was so scared to walk up to a complete stranger and ask them for their caption information. I mean I was terrified to the point of a panic attack. But as the semester went on it got easier and easier for me to gather caption information. So believe me stepping out of your norm is achievable. I would also suggest trying and photographing things that you are not used to. The only way you will become a better photographer is to make go out and shoot things you would not normally shoot. I would also say don’t be afraid to fail. It is acceptable to fail as long as you learn from those mistakes. Making mistakes and correcting them helps you become a better photographer.

My parting words to all photojournalism students are to go out there and try to tell a story through every image you capture.
Wide Depth of Field at Botanical Garden.

Shallow Depth of Field at Botanical Garden. Shot at F 5.6 @1/500.

Blurred Motion/Slow Shutter Speed at Botanical Garden. Shot at f 32 @ 1/10. 

Altered Vantage Point at Botanical Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment