Thursday, September 29, 2011

Camera controls

We just finished talking about camera controls in class this week. I thought I knew my camera pretty well, but after reviewing camera controls, I realized I had forgotten a few key points.  One of the controls we reviewed was ISO. I have always had a bit of trouble figuring out how to set my ISO in different lighting situations. Now I know the brighter the light, the lower the ISO. 

After reading chapter 8 in Photojournalism; TheProfessionals’ Approach, I learned why it is important to capture images in RAW. When I shoot in RAW I have a better chance of fixing any of the mistakes I could make with lighting and white balance.  I also now know that when I shoot in RAW, my camera retains all the information that my sensor sees. RAW doesn’t compress information like a JPEG does.

But when it comes to photojournalism, JPEG is the shooting standard. According to my instructor, Lori King, “Photojournalists shoot a lot of sports and action and don't have time to wait for the camera to store the information. If you shoot the photo right, you won't need Photoshop or RAW.” When I am out in the field shooting my assignment, I will use all of my camera controls to shoot my photos correctly so I don’t need to fix anything in Photoshop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment